CHILD SPONSORSHIP - YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Through a Child Sponsorship of only $30 a month, we can make a change in the life of an individual child and collectively change a community and a nation. Your tangible investment in a child will have lasting impact. Education is the key to changing the cycle of poverty. Join the movement today and make a difference in the life of a child.
OUR CHILD SPONSORSHIP PROGRAM
Your tax-deductible contribution of $30 a month educates a child at Howrah Christian School in Kolkata, India and gives them two nutritious meals every school day
Our child sponsorship program works out of our school, Howrah Christian School in Kolkata, India. The school is located outside Kolkata in the Howrah district. Howrah is on the west bank of the river Hoogli and is the twin city of Kolkata. It is one of the most densely populated and poorest districts in India
For a child sponsorship of only $30 a month, you can sponsor a child from the slums and communities around our school and give them the gift of education and two nutritious meals every school day.
MEET ONE OF OUR KIDS
SK is 13 years old and is in the eighth grade. He is an extremely smart young boy and places in the top 5% of his class. He wants to be an Engineer when he grows up. SK and three of his siblings have been attending HCS Elementary free of charge since Pre-Kindergarten.
SK lives with his mother and four other siblings in the Pilkhana Slum, which is also known as “Howrah’s heart of darkness”. They live in a vertical brick-and-mortar slum house that is not plastered, has no drainage, water or electricity.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE...
SK and his family live in a room that is a little larger than the size of a laundry room in the US. They cook, bathe, eat and sleep in this room. All six of them sleep in one bed.
He has been working at a factory making buttons since he was 9 years old. SK's father passed away a few years ago. As SK is the only male in his family, he feels the huge responsibility to financially take care of his family.
SK was working 60+ hours a week while going to school to help support his family. He would bring in about $50 per month.
After hearing about this, HCS ELementary hired his oldest sibling and is training her to work as a Program Coordinator at our school. SK can now be more like a regular 13 year old and not carry the full financial burden to look after his family.
SK is excited to graduate this next year from HCS Elementary. His family could never afford him pursuing his dream of being an Engineer but SK has hope to continue his education and continue pursuing this dream.
WHY SPONSOR A CHILD?
CHALLENGES FACING AN UNDERPRIVILEGED CHILD IN INDIA
- Although tuition is free in government schools, the costs of books, uniforms and transportation can be too much for families living in poverty and they become one of the 13.6 to 19 million children that do not attend school.
- Attend school but become one of the 150 million students in India that graduate functionally illiterate.
- Unable to continue their education as they have to financially help their families.
- Girls are generally pulled out of school to help with family responsibilities like caring for their siblings or doing housework. Educating daughters is seen as a waste of money, since daughters will eventually live with their husband's families and the parents will not benefit directly from their education. Also, educated girls will have higher dowry expenses because they will need a comparably educated husband!
- Attend school on an empty stomach
- Often sick due to a lack of nutritious food causing them to be irregular in their attendance.
- Not properly equipped in school and as a result are often abused and exploited.
OUR CHILD SPONSORSHIP PROGRAM GIVES AN UNDERPRIVILEGED CHILD
- Dignity and value as an individual created by God.
- A safe, clean and nurturing educational environment for 35+ hours a week, where they receive food every school day.
- Education from early childhood through primary education (Eighth grade) at the school and higher learning opportunities through the Zachariah Scholarship fund.
- An environment that focuses on their entire development - Intellectual, spiritual, emotional, social and physical and equips them to escape out of poverty and give them hope.
- Extracurricular activities in sports, computers, music, arts, photography, and English Language.
- Access to a library; a technology center with internet access and an after-school program (a space for each child to study and receive help).
- Exposure to new educational practices that improve their interaction at school. Zedbridge's Alternative Educational Model, "A School in the Box" is currently being developed and tested at the school. The school also has a SOLE Technology center.
- Teachers that regularly receive training and mentoring.
- Remote teaching from the US and UK.
- Support and encouragement as a girl to pursue her education and her dreams.
- Help with emergency medical issues
- Regular house visits
Click on the SPONSOR NOW button and sign up to sponsor a child
Select your preference of gender and age of the child that you would like to sponsor. (If we are unable to give you your preference, we will give you someone similar.
Within four weeks you will receive a welcoming package that contains a photo, a profile, and a personal story profile of the child
Experience the joy of building a relationship with your child and knowing that you are part of their new story
Due to the many different ways and situations that children attend our school, it is possible that your sponsored child might change during your child sponsorship duration. If that occurs, we will notify you and will give you another child that you can sponsor.
Zedbridge is a registered 501(c)3 non profit in the US and all donations are tax-deductible as allowable by US law. Howrah Christian School has been educating underprivileged children since 1985 and is a registered charity with the Indian government. The school is run by the same leadership as Zedbridge. To learn more about the school click here.